If you’re an owner looking to engage in a more collaborative delivery process (than that of design-bid-build), but not confident that your organization is prepared to pursue a design-build procurement process, then the delivery method identified as Construction Management at-Risk (CMAR) could be the right fit for your project.
In offering Construction Manager at Risk services we involve first tier subcontractors and material suppliers to establish budgets and to control project cost during the Schematic Design and Design Development phases while working along side design professionals. As project scope is revised during the SD and DD phases updated revised estimates are provided for review. At the time of completion of construction documents a guaranteed maximum price (GMP) will be established by soliciting bids from multiple pre-qualified first tier subcontractors and material vendors. Bid packages by scope of work are issued and advertised to gain as many prices per bid package as possible to ensure competitive pricing.
Benefits to the Owner:
- A higher level of cost control from the start. A successful CMAR project would involve hiring the CMAR prior to the architect and having the CMAR help select the architect.
- During the design process, the CMAR provides cost estimates at contractually established points. If these cost estimates are in line with the established budget, the architect then moves on to the next phase of design. If not, the CMAR, Owner and Architect assess the cost estimate and make design changes to bring the design back into budget alignment. This process ensures budget success.
- The CMAR is an Owner advocate and manages the project with the Owner’s best interest in mind at all times.
- The CMAR takes burden off of the Owner in managing and coordinating the project.
- The Owner’s risk is limited by the CMAR process providing the construction documents are complete and proper allowances and contingencies are built into the GMP.
- Construct-ability and value to the Owner are afforded by the Value Engineering expertise brought to the process by the CMAR.